There are so many different types of snack food on the supermarket shelves these days from crispy corn chips, assorted nuts to sugary chocolate bars and dried fruit.
Although I always try to resist a couple of favourites in Dorito corn chips and Cheezels, I find that most of these snacks are relatively high in salt and fat content. So apart from the occasional splurge on a box of Cheezels, I prefer to make one of my favourite snack for watching sports on TV or simply as a happy hour treat.
This snack has literally zero fat and very low salt content but most important of all, it tastes great and eating more of this is actually good for your health.
- 4 – 5 pieces of Lebanese bread
- 2 – 3 teaspoon of cooking salt
- 2 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary and basil)
- Half cup of extra virgin olive oil
1. Brush Lebanese bread on both sides with the EVOO and then lightly sprinkle the salt and mixed herbs on both sides.
2. With a serrated knife, slice the bread into long strips of approximately 2cm in width and place the strips over baking paper on a baking tray.
3. Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and bake the bread strips for approximately 8 – 10 minutes until the strips are slightly brown.
4. When bread strips turn slightly brown, turn off heat and remove the strips from the oven to let cool.
5. Serve on its own or with your favourite dips, , relishes, hummus or chutney when bread strips are completely cooled and crispy.
6. Store bread strips in air-tight container in cool place.
Tip: The bread strips can easily overcook in the oven in which case it will taste bitter. Keep a constant watch on the bread strips while it is baking. Baking times may vary according to the type and specification of oven.
Click on any of the photos to view ChopinandMysaucepan‘s favourite recipes or simply click here.