Rice vermicelli in chicken broth was the staple diet in my family for as long as I can remember. Whenever I cook this wholesome meal at home, it fondly reminds me of my mother ~ beautiful and heart-warming, it soothes the soul.
Do your family a favour during cold winter nights – the brewing broth alone would warm your home with the fragrant scent of chicken soup and whet your appetite for dinner.
Rice vermicelli in chicken broth recipe @ chopinandmysaucepan.com
- 500 gms chicken thigh, drumstick or breast fillets
- 500 gms chicken bones
- Chinese mushrooms
- Rice vermicelli
- Freshly diced garlic, shallots and coriander, red chillis
- Chinese greens ~ baby bok choy, choy sum or kai lan
- Start by boiling chicken bones and when simmering, add a handful of pounded white peppercorn into stock. Add salt to taste.
- Marinate chicken fillets with a teaspoon of soy sauce, oyster sayce, dash of sesame seed oil and white pepper.
- Rehydrate Chinese mushrooms with cold water and retain liquid.
- Soak rice vermicelli in cold water until soft.
- Heat wok with cooking oil until smoking and sear chicken fillets with a little garlic. Add sliced Chinese mushrooms, turn fillets and sear until slightly brown then add Shao Xing wine to wok and stir fry until cooked. If a little dry, add fragrant liquid from Chinese mushroom. Add salt to taste.
- Blanch soft rice vermicelli and Chinese greens in simmering stock then prepare in serving bowls.
- Add the stir-fried chicken fillets, broth and garnish with a little white pepper, chopped shallots, coriander and deep fried shallots.
- Prepare dipping sauce of fresh cut red chillis and soy sauce.
Warms: 4 people on a cold winter night Wine suggestion: Petaluma Riesling, Clare Valley, South Australia
Click on any of the photos to view ChopinandMysaucepan‘s favourite recipes or simply click here.