I love KFC but I just don’t understand the current craze with the new KFC burger. For one, I dislike barbeque sauce in any food. And thinking of slapping cheese and bacon on my KFC with a mix barbeque sauce in a mouthful is enough to make me sick. The alternative to KFC which is a healthier but equally as tasty chicken is my version of roast chicken with peas and tomato salad.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is a wonder packet of Four Seasons Spicy Bake Mix powder which is made specifically for roasting chicken. A box which costs about $4 comes with six individually wrapped packets of baking powder and is readily available in most Asian grocery shops. Although labelled “spicy”, there is absolutely no hint of spice in this wonder powder which is actually a good thing because it is pretty damn tasty in itself.
1 whole chicken (approximately between 1.5 – 2 kg)
5 ripened tomatoes
4 cups of peas
1 packet of Four Seasons Spicy Bake Mix
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoon brown or white sugar
1. Slice 4 tomato and add to peas.
2. Add 3 – 4 tablespoon of good extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice for a wonderfully fresh and yet simple salad.
1. Sprinkle one packet of the spicy bake mix all over the chicken and put generous amounts in the chicken cavity.
2. Dice 1 tomato and place in a roasting tray.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 2 tablespoon of sugar and 1 cup of water to the diced tomato and mix well.
4. Place marinated chicken on a stand over the roasting tray so that it catches all the roasting juices from the chicken.
5. Place BREAST SIDE UP in a hot oven of 220 C and bake for approximately 45 minutes until chicken is golden brown.
Tip: About 20 minutes into the baking time, brush chicken all over with some olive so that skin will be crispy and golden brown.
6. Empty cavity juices into baking tray then skim off fat from roasting juices (This is the ‘fat’ difference between KFC and this recipe).
7. Use disposable glove to handle chicken and cut into Marylands and breast pieces with kitchen scissors.
8. Serve chicken with gravy, peas and tomato salad.
Click on any of the photos to view ChopinandMysaucepan‘s favourite recipes or simply click here.